It’s valentines day. But.. I’m a nurse


It’s 5 am and I woke up to the alarm of my clock. I stretched my arms, grab my towel and went straight to the bathroom. The cold water is enough to wake up my sleeping soul. I dried myself immediately and put on my white uniform. I tied my hair to a bun and covered it with a hairnet. I don’t want to look so dull so i applied a light make up on my face.  There was nothing to eat so i grab the leftover, a hot dog sand which and ate them on my way to work.

It was a normal day as i entered the hospital, no flowers or decorations seen. I went straight to our unit. The endorsement was about to start when I arrived. Today, we were assigned to six patient’s . Our maximum census is 1 nurse is to 8 patients for total patient care. Today i handled 2 hypertensive patients, 1 stroke patient with nasogastric tube, 1 status post exploratory laparotomy, 1 pediatric patient who has diarrhea, and 1 with colon cancer who is dyspneic.My duty started right, i prepared my medications and went on to check my patient’s initial vital signs. It took me an hour to give my medications and get their vital signs. Everyone seemed okay, no initial complaints and everyone looked happy. As i’m about to do my documentation on the nurses notes. One of my patients relative went to me and told me that my cancer patient could hardly breathe. I went immediately and saw that he has labored breathing, I instructed him to try to relax and assisted him with deep breathing exercises. I went to get his salbutamol nebule and administered it via face mask. He started to calm down and saw that he was relieved. I pushed his due IV hydrocortisone and he started to even look better. He can now speak and told me he is feeling much better. I went back to our station and just when i was about to sit , a doctor came in and asked me to accompany him to dress his patients wounds. We went straight ahead to the patients room and changed his wound dressing. After that ,I went to my patients room and gave him a stat dose of dulcolax suppository because he has not defecated for three days. I tried to document all my initial vital signs in fastest way possible because i know the doctors might be doing their rounds and there is so much errands to do that can cause delay to my documentation. So… i was right after a few minutes here the doctors came and had their rounds. There’s so many laboratory requests to be done. Procedure such as X-ray and CT-scan is to be done immediately because the doctor’s want to see the result immediately. Six hours had passed and i felt that I was getting weak and my tummy hurts. I was hungry, but I just couldn’t take a break since my other colleague had her lunch first and we need to take turns since we are only three staff nurses in our unit. I finally took the chance to sit down while waiting for my colleague to come. I smiled at her when she arrived and she knew immediately that i’m dead hungry too. I had my lunch alone in our canteen, there is no signs of special occasion there. We were all just  staff in the hospital having a break from the busy world of the ward. I went back and started doing some wound dressing, turned my stroke patient from side to side and fed her via nasogastric tube. It was a routine: prepare medication , checked vitals signs and document all the things we have done to our patients. I haven’t notice that my 12 hours duty is almost done. A few minutes our incoming staff came in . I checked all the charts making sure proper documentation was done and I made sure that all my patients were okay. The endorsement was done and the nurses rounds seemed to go quickly.
Finally it was time to go home.
I just felt so relieved and fulfilled when I got out of the hospital. We greeted each other goodbye and happy valentines.
As I go to bed I think that I still have the best gift today. I may be dead tired but nothing can repay how grateful my patients were to me when i’m about to leave. Some gave me food and said thank you to me. Some were even asking to have me as a nurse again. This are the things you experience in the hospital that are priceless. I did have a HAPPY VALENTINES after all.

– Mary


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s